Senior Backend Engineer
Senior Backend Engineer
San Francisco, CA
At StyleSeat, our mission is to help people look and feel their best. We are on the path to achieving this mission by being the go-to portal for consumers to discover, book, and pay for beauty and grooming services (hair stylists, colorists, nail artists, estheticians, barbers, etc). We are also the premier solution for all independent professionals in the industry to run and grow their business. We have powered over 120 million appointments booked and $10B in revenue for small businesses and are on the path to much more.
Our leaders are just as involved in the code as they are with mentoring their team to make StyleSeat the very best place to work. We have a strong value-based culture that serves our community, gives every individual ownership and is diverse. Being an engineer means: daily releases, clear ownership, constant learning, data driven decision-making, great partnership with product, serving millions of customers everyday. Every single engineer makes a huge impact on our customers and the company’s growth.
About the Role:
The Senior Backend Engineer at StyleSeat is responsible for providing technical leadership to the engineering team and steering key decisions. You will engage in system design, technology evaluation, prototyping, implementation of key components, DevOps, and training of team members as we move to more modular, microservice-based architecture. You’ll be self-directed, a critical thinker and an excellent communicator. While not necessarily a frontend specialist, you should be comfortable with how the frontend systems work and able to dive in to remove roadblocks, if necessary.
- Design and build core parts of the platform to deliver robust backend services
- Lead and assist efforts to migrate to a modular, microservices future
- Design and implement interfaces and infrastructure for large-volume services and APIs
- Conduct code reviews and audits
- Ensure the shipment of quality products
- Help establish our technical philosophy and engineering culture
You love to learn so you don't need to know everything day one, but some relevant background will help you get going quickly:
- 7+ years of experience in a production environment
- Strong RDBMS experience
- Strong Python coding experience
- Expertise to offer for complex challenges: system architecture, scaling tactics, tool choices, etc.
- Experience working at "web scale" providing and evolving always-available services to unbounded user communities including experience scaling software as part of a high-growth company
- Experience with AWS (Amazon Web Services) and Docker
- Strong familiarity with at least one modern web application framework (e.g. Django, rails, node.js, or similar) as well as experience working with SQL, Caching, and Messaging Queues
- Understanding of common UI patterns(MVVM), RESTful synchronous service-oriented and message bus architectures, relational schemas, agile scrum, and modern source code control
- Experience with frontend technologies is a plus
- Formal computer science background such as a BSCS, or equivalent experience